Giving a Subcutaneous Injection
1. Cleanse your selected SUBCUTANEOUS injection site with an alcohol wipe and allow to dry.
2. While holding the syringe with your dominant hand, between your thumb and finger (as you would a pencil), pinch the skin (with your other hand) at the site you have selected.
3. With a quick, dart-like motion, insert the entire needle (up to the hub of the syringe) at a 45 degree angle to a 90 degree angle and depress the plunger slowly and carefully.
4. After the injection is complete, quickly pull out the needle. If bleeding occurs, apply pressure to the injection site with a sterile gauze pad. If discomfort occurs after your injection, you may gently massage the injection site to alleviate your discomfort.
5. After injecting the medication, dispose of the syringe into the Sharps waste container. It is unnecessary to recap the needle as this could cause injury.